876 Skyland Drive, Sylva NC 28779

Information for Youth Voters


When Can I Vote?

To be eligible to vote in NC, you must be 18 years old as of the date of the election. 
17 year olds may vote in a primary if they will turn 18 by the date of the general election. 

In North Carolina, 17 year olds may also register to vote prior to turning 18 if they will be 18 by the next general election. Click Here to read more on voter registration. 

What If I'm a Student at WCU?

If you attend Western Carolina University, you have the ability to vote in Jackson County as long as you have attended WCU for at least sixty (30) days prior to the date of the election.

If you are an off-campus student residing in Jackson County, you can register to vote with the address of your apartment or home. 

If you are an on-campus student, you are able to register to vote using your on-campus Residence Hall/Dorm address as your residential address, and your on-campus PO box as the mailing address. (245 Memorial Drive, Suite ####, Cullowhee, NC, 28723).
Click Here to find all of the addresses for the WCU residence Halls. 

When Do I Need an Absentee Ballot?

If you will be in Jackson County during the time of the election, but wish to cast a ballot in a different state or county, you will need to request an Absentee Ballot.

You can request an absentee ballot by visiting the website of your local Board of Elections.